It’s Week #3 in our Foodgawker Friday segment and we have been cooking up a storm! This week, an interesting taco recipe caught our eye because of its unique pairing of ingredients. Since we happened to have all of these components in our fridge already, we decided to roll with it. 🙂 I mean, who doesn’t like roasted sweet potatoes and homemade pesto? But when you stop and think about it, all these aspects do sound kind of crazy together. Nonetheless, the brilliant culinary minds at “Eats Well with Others” assured us otherwise, and boy were they right! All of the different parts to this dish truly play off of one another and create one harmonious hand-held bite.
In our opinion, these tasty tacos are a fantastic vegetarian meal for meatless Monday or a Friday Lentin Special. In fact, even a true carnivore would devour these any day of the week. The sweet potatoes taste surprisingly meaty, and with the warm black beans and spicy pesto, it creates a mind-blowing combination.
The only tricky thing about the recipe is that you must be sure to roast the sweet potatoes perfectly. They taste best when they are nice and crispy. Another great feature to this recipe is that you have the ability to make the pesto as hot or mild as you please. We prefer things on the spicy side, so more jalapenos were added, but use your discretion.
Go ahead and try this one on for size! We promise you will not be disappointed.
For the pesto:
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lime, juice
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
For the tacos:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used white sweet potatoes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder, divided
- 2 tsp cumin, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight and boiled until tender
- 1 batch swiss chard pesto
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
Instructions For the pesto:
- Puree the swiss chard, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, pecans olive oil, and lime juice in a food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the tacos:
- Preheat oven to 400. Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, and salt. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast until tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tbsp of the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1 tsp cumin and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the beans and cook until warmed through, a few minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve corn tortillas topped with black bean mixture, sweet potatoes, swiss chard pesto, and queso fresco.