With winter coming to a close (not soon enough), we decided to squeeze in one more soup recipe. Let’s be honest, nothing screams “comfort food” more than a nice, hot bowl of hearty tomato soup and grilled cheese on a cold, winter night. Sure, everyone knows how to make tomato soup, but the great minds at Chili & Tonka taught us how to take it to the next level using international flavors. The only downside to this recipe was that the entire thing was in Polish. Luckily Nick’s wife is fluent and was able to translate :).
I know what you must be thinking (and trust us we thought the same thing) how do lentils and coconut milk work in tomato soup? Will it be chunky? Will it be overly sweet? Well, the answer is…no, it creates a one perfectly balanced bowl of soup. The best thing about this recipe is that you have all of the comforting aspects of a tomato soup elevated by the smooth, sweetness of coconut milk. As for the lentils, they simply add a heartiness to the soup to make it a more satisfying meal.
Try it out for yourself by clicking the button below for the entire recipe!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (or turmeric)
- 13.54 oz can of coconut milk
- 16 oz canned tomatoes (or fresh without skin and seeds)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 10 oz lentils or chickpeas
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- a few slices of country bread
- some good cheese like Gruyere
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Peel and chop the onion. Peel carrots and cut into small cubes.
- In a saucepan heat the oil, and saute the onion. Add a pinch of salt.
- Once the onion is translucent, toss carrots and curry. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the coconut milk, tomatoes, broth, toss lentils. Cook covered for 25 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While soup is cooking, make a grilled cheese using some good bread and cheese. You may choose to eat the grilled cheese on the side or cut up into cubes and top your soup like croutons.
- Once soup is cooked, use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until smooth. If you find that it is slightly chunky, add water and continue to blend until smooth.
- Serve hot soup with grilled cheese croutons, garnish with parsley or cilantro.