It’s hard to believe, but 2012 is officially coming to a close. Once again, it was another great year for the Front Row Eats team as we immersed ourselves in Rhode Island’s local food scene. We tried everything from Mom & Pop breakfast diners to chichi five-star eateries. We even expanded our footprint and explored our love of food during various trips to Boston, New York, Key West and the West Coast – including California, Arizona, and Oregon.
Looking back on this past year really excites us for what’s in store for 2013. Currently in the works are local chef interviews, adding new writers to the staff and rolling out a revamped site with much easier search options. There’s also going to be a ton of restaurant reviews and news on upcoming events as well.
Since everyone else on the internet is participating in these end of year lists, we thought it would be fun to reflect back and pick out our FAVORITE dishes of the year. We divided them into categories and picked out the best of the best. In case you missed any of our original reviews, just click on the links.
- Nick’s Pick: “Arancini” (saffron infused rice balls stuffed with mozzarella, peas, and bolognese sauce) at Amici’s -Providence, RI
- Chris’ Pick: Naan Bread at Kabob & Curry -Providence, RI
BEST CHEAP EAT
- Nick’s Pick: Butternut Squash Financier with Hazelnut Ganache, Nutella Powder, and White Chocolate Tuille at Tallulah on Thames -Newport, RI
- Chris’ Pick: Chocolate Peanut-Butter “Kit-Kat” Bars at Michael Jordan’s Steakhouse Mohegan Sun -Uncasville, CT
BEST SEAFOOD DISH
- Nick’s Pick: Striped Bass with Lobster Tail, Wild Rice, and Blood Orange Beurre Blanc at 22 Bowens -Newport, RI
- Chris’ Pick: Fried Whole Belly Clam Roll at Flo’s Clam Shack -Middletown, RI
BEST MEAL WHILE TRAVELING
- Nick’s Pick: Cheesemonger’s Grilled Cheese at La Laiterie at Farmstead -Providence, RI
- Chris’ Pick: Chipotle Pastrami Sandwich at Sam LaGrassa’s -Boston, MA
MOST UNIQUE DISH:
- Nick’s Pick: Strawberry Honey Balsamic Vinegar Ice Cream with Crackled Black Pepper at Salt & Straw -Portland, OR
- Chris’ Pick: Rhubarb Upside Down Cake at Rocket Street Food -Providence, RI
BEST OVERALL MEAL / DINING EXPERIENCE